Full Time Animal Care Technician
The Animal Care Technician (ACT) plays a critical role in caring for many of the animals at the York County SPCA. In addition to providing animal enrichment, the ACT is responsible for the general care and maintenance of shelter animals including feeding, cleaning, disinfecting, grooming, vaccinating, and medicating shelter animals. ACTs become well acquainted with shelter animals and provide detained animal descriptions to help facilitate adoptions.
Essential ACT Job Responsibilities:
- Performs basic animal husbandry tasks such as cage cleaning, feeding, walking, and other animal care activities for shelter cats, dogs, small animals, and exotic animals; primarily this position involves caring for cats and small animals.
- Conducts bathing and medication administration
- Cleans and restocks the facility
- Works with the Communications Director to provide individualized animal characteristics descriptions to help promote adoptions
- Observes and reports medical and behavioral issues to the ACT Manager
- Moves animals from entry to their proper holding kennels
- Cares for and loves all the animals in the ACT’s department
Competencies, Education, and Experience:
- The right candidate must be reliable and have good transportation
- 18 years or older
- Must be able to lift up to 40 lbs.
- Hours are a combination of weekday and weekend hours. Flexibility is appreciated with changes due to COVID-19
- This position involves cleaning cages which are sometimes very low to the ground and will require extended periods of time working from a kneeled or squatted position
- Commitment to the mission, values, goals, and success of the York County SPCA
Salary and Benefits
- $10 per hour, paid biweekly via direct deposit
- Store discount available and adoption discounts available. Additional benefits like medical, dental, vacation time, etc. are available for full-time employees.
- We are currently looking to fill 1 full time and 1 part-time position. Weekends are required.
- Lots of animals to play with
- Surrounded by a high-performing, mission-driven team of individuals
- Ability to make a direct impact on improving York County communities and their animals
About the York County SPCA
The York County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) is a 501(c)(3), non-profit organization dedicated to providing long-term human and animal services to residents of York County through programs that find permanent, loving homes for displaced and stray animals, help control animal population growth, investigate and prosecute cruelty offenders and educate the general public about animal wellness and safety. We do not receive funding from the national ASPCA. We are a community resource supporting all York County residents and their animals.
The York County SPCA supports, empowers, and encourages employees to take personal accountability, and we continuously work to provide employees with the resources they need to thrive while cultivating an environment of trust, respect, and compassion.
- We took in 5,692 animals. Most were strays or owner-surrendered animals.
- We investigated and prosecuted over 150 cases of animal neglect or abuse.
- We adopted out over 1,832 animals. This includes dogs, cats, birds, chinchillas, ferrets, guinea pigs, hamsters, other small animals, rabbits, reptiles, turtles, horses… we are truly an open admission shelter!
- Our high volume, low-cost clinic performed 7,665 spay/neuter surgeries. Our veterinarian staff performed another 2,000+ spay/neuter surgeries, which means the York County SPCA performed over 9,000 spay/neuter surgeries!
- More at www.ycspca.org
- Facebook: www.facebook.com/YorkCoSPCA
Job Type: Part-time
Pay: $10.00 per hour
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Health insurance
- Paid time off
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Are you available and willing to work Saturdays and Sundays?
- Please describe your animal care and handling experience.
- High school or equivalent (Preferred)
- Animal husbandry: 1 year (Preferred)
- Spanish (Preferred)
- Driver's License (Preferred)
- Day Shift (Required)
- One location
Company's Facebook page:
- Waiting period may apply
- Personal protective equipment provided or required
- Social distancing guidelines in place
- Sanitizing, disinfecting, or cleaning procedures in place