The York County Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) is a charitable organization dedicated to providing long-term human and animal services to residents of York County through programs that find permanent, loving homes for displaced and stray animals, help control animal population growth, investigate, and prosecute cruelty offenders and educate the general public about animal wellness and safety.
The Office Manager is a key position that ensures top leadership has all the support needed to carry out the organization’s strategic goals. This is a generalist position that interacts with various departments within the organization. An ability to multitask, stay organized, focus on details, learn new skillsets, and remain flexible are attributes needed to be successful in this position. The Office Manager collaborates with the Executive Director, Development Director, Finance Director, Communications Director, and Volunteer Coordinator on a regular basis. The Office Manager fosters a workplace environment consistent with the values and mission of the York County SPCA and collaborates and partners with both internal and external key stakeholders on a variety of project driven tasks. A key function of this position includes coordinating, organizing, and ensuring adequate resources are in place to handle all aspects of events pertaining to employee development and community programming.
Event Coordination Support
- In partnership with the Communications Director, supports community engagement event planning and execution. Examples of key tasks include coordinating with staff and volunteers to plan logistical details such as event preparation, promotion, and flow.
- In partnership with the Development Director, supports donor development appreciation events. Examples of key tasks include preparing and mailing invitations, managing RSVP information, and coordinating event supplies such as rental equipment, catering, and event-specific donor materials.
- In partnership with the Volunteer Coordinator, helps organize volunteer appreciation events. Examples of key tasks include order catering, secure venues, and coordinate communication tasks.
- In partnership with the Finance Director, champions programming, initiatives, and events aimed at employee recognition and appreciation.
Development, Finance, and Volunteer Support
- Support the Development Director in donor administrative and recognition functions. Key tasks include managing outgoing and incoming mail, entering donation data into Bloomerang (donor software), preparing donation thank you letters and receipts for mailing, preparing thank you cards for the Executive Director and Development Director, managing and ordering donation fundraising bricks, preparing monthly memorial tribute letters, and ensuring donor information is updated and maintained.
- Support the Finance Director in administrative functions. Key tasks include entering data for cash receipts and accounts payable into Quickbooks.
- Print volunteer orientation packets as needed for upcoming trainings.
- Sort and file volunteer paperwork (emergency contacts, waivers, photo & social media policy).
Office and Vendor Relationship Management
- Provide office support ensuring supplies, apparel, name badges, etc. are purchased and available.
- Communicate with vendors to ensure the York County SPCA is receiving quality service at cost competitive rates.
- Ensure the York County SPCA’s online website and board member portal content is current.
- Support the Executive Director on a range administrative and clerical duties such as meeting preparation, key stakeholder relationship development, and organize travel arrangements.
Human Resources Support
- Interacts with applicants to provide information, schedule interviews, and gather additional applicant information.
- Drives the onboarding process to ensure the best possible transition into the organization for new hires.
- Coordinates and/or conducts exit interviews to determine reasons behind separations.
- Reviews and updates personnel records to ensure information is current.
- Works to position the York County SPCA as an employer of choice. Potentially attend networking events or job fairs to enhance employer brand and reputation.
- Administers employee satisfaction surveys.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
- Bachelor’s degree in business management, human resources, organizational development, event management or related field; or four years of direct task related experience.
- A minimum of two years of experience working in a professional office environment.
- Preference will be given to candidates with non-profit experience, prior experience in an administrative/office management role is a plus.
SKILLS AND ABILITIES
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and negotiation skills.
- Excellent organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Proficient with Microsoft Office Suite; knowledge of Human Resources Information Systems is a plus.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
- Ability to prioritize tasks and work independently.
- Comfortable with, or a willingness to learn, website editing tools.
- Outgoing, friendly, and can work well with many personality types.
- Ability to act with integrity, professionalism, and confidentiality.
WORKING CONDITIONS AND EXPECTATION
The position typically works Monday through Friday, 8:30AM – 4:30PM.
- The Office Manager is expected to attend and oversee special events that occur during weekends and evenings. The York County SPCA will provide a flexible work schedule to compensate for evening and weekend work to ensure a healthy work/life balance.
- Standard office environment, with exposure to environmental conditions that include working near and potentially caring for animals. We do have an office cat that lives in the office. His name is Tater Tot. A variety of animals visit the office nearly every day.
- Must be able to stand, walk, sit, talk and hear, stoop, bend, squat, kneel, grasp, grip, put fingers together firmly and reach above and below shoulder level and lift, push or pull 40 pounds for situations of moving and lifting materials or supplies, repetitively use hands to operate computers; flex the neck upward and downward; twist the neck and the waist. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
SALARY AND BENEFITS
- $40,000 - $45,000 per year, paid biweekly, direct deposit available.
- York County SPCA employee health care costs are thirty dollars ($30.00) per pay period. Vision and dental benefits are included.
- The York County SPCA offers retirement benefits with a dollar-for-dollar match up to a maximum of three percent (3%) of your salary per year. The organization offers a SIMPLE IRA.
- 22 days of paid time off, plus 6 paid holidays, and 2 floating holidays per year.
- Alternative work arrangements available after 6-months of continuous employment.
- Continuing education allowance as determined by the Executive Director.